Pages

Sunday 24 February 2013

Stitched art


Sometimes what I like about stitching is you can let your mind wander whilst your hands are busy, but machine stitched pictures like my tulips here, require a bit of thought.  You have to plan carefully and consider how each of the layers in the picture will be built up:

I started by couching the stalks with green chenille knitting yarn, then I drew the glass vase with ecru viscose thread, shading the sides with arcing lines of stitch.  Next came leaves of green crystal organza and for some, I used two layers of fabric to give density and a deeper colour.  Then I added purple and white tulips - rich silk and sage coloured viscose thread. Finally I drew the delicate Paperwhite narcissi with star-shaped stitches.

It's not quite finished - I might work into the narcissi some more as they don't stand out as much as I would like, but I thought I'd show you what I've done so far.  I've translated my pastel drawing into stitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment