Thursday, 25 January 2018

Pearl


This little study in pearl has been made for Grassington Embroiderers' Guild pearl anniversary exhibition. which takes place later this year.  The idea is to make a pearl necklace from embroidery hoops.  Mine has been a bit of a doodle with no fixed plan or design.  I've used some of the stash supplied by Grassington branch but have added bits of lace, buttons, beads and part of an old pearl necklace that I found in Grandma's button tin (where else?).

I have to confess that it looked a bit of a mash-up but what saved the day was some ivory-coloured cotton perle thread which I back-stitched in cornelli pattern to fill-in all the gaps.  Perfect!

Saturday, 20 January 2018

Picture perfect


My goal is to do something new each week and whilst this might not be something new, it is on a different scale to my previous work.

I'm doing another stitched portrait based on a photo of my lovely girls taken at Christmas. They are all laughing and the picture just captures their vitality.  I found an old handkerchief that I've had since I was a child.  I don't know where it came from, probably my Grandma or maybe my mother.  It has a hand made 'lace' edge but it is a form of stitching or weaving rather than traditional knotted lace.  It's small and delicate and so my stitched portraits are too. 

I've started with Frances.  She's far away on an extended holiday and I'm missing her.  The difference in time zones mean that it is difficult to talk to her but we did manage to catch up earlier this week.  Long distance love.

Sunday, 14 January 2018

Sheer magic


This week's challenge is to create a picture using sheer fabrics.  I've got a bit of a thing for these lovely diaphanous materials and they crop up in a lot of my work.  My stash includes several two-tone organzas which shimmer and change colour as they move. 

Here I've used a two-tone red and black mixed with a rich brown to build up my flowers (dahlias, in case you're wondering).  The areas of overlap provide extra depth and texture.  I've used a two-tone green and black for the leaves because it offers a more natural colour to the alternative, monochrome organza.  The picture is built up, one piece at a time and with hind-sight I might have started with a more organic background before stitching the features.

Wednesday, 10 January 2018

Happy New Year!


I'm kick starting the new year with another challenge to try 50 new techniques - well perhaps not all new ones but 50 nevertheless.

My Glusburn stitching group had asked me about negative space stitching which was something I'd not tried before.  I found some lovely examples and I particularly liked this random 'splash' effect which I created with a series of interlocking ellipses, doodled over the numbers.  The negative space is filled with satin stitch - not one of my favourites but I got plenty of practice with this piece.

Happy New Year!