Pages

Sunday 10 February 2013

Slow Craft



This quilt has been a long time coming!  I first saw a quilt made of squares of old silk about 20 years ago in a homes & interiors magazine and always wanted to make something similar.  When we redecorated our bedroom (about 5 years ago now) I bought a remnant of silk that matched the wall paper thinking I would make some cushions.  When I realised that it quite a big piece of fabric my thoughts turned to a quilt and I purchased some grey slubbed silk to complete it.  But the more I thought about it, I couldn't get a design that worked and so it languished in my stash for a bit longer.

Over the last couple of years I have used silk in my wall hangings and have got more comfortable using this somewhat tricky fabric so last May I took a rotary cutter to my collection of silk fabrics and made squares and a pattern diagram but could quite start sewing....It was late summer before I managed to machine the silk layer, September when I bought the backing fabric and January 2013 when I eventually sewed it all together.  For the last few weeks I have been hand-stitching round all the flowers.

And now this week I have finished.  Happy birthday to me!




No comments:

Post a Comment