Pages

Saturday 31 March 2018

Monochrome


The quest for new techniques has taken me along an unexpected path.  This week I have tried my hand at blackwork.  This form of embroidery dates back to Tudor times but was popularised by Catherine of Aragon hence its name, Spanish blackwork.  I can admire it's pared-down elegance, but I've concluded that counted thread work is not my forte!

The reason for this challenge is that Skipton Embroiderers' Guild are making a 36 square sampler showing different black work patterns ranging from traditional to contemporary.  I've chosen to start with a traditional back stitch rose pattern for the centre of my dandelion clock and then use a more free-form fly stitch to make the seed heads.

2 comments:

  1. I love your dandelion clock - a pretty way to bring the technique up to date and add some realism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Always encouraging to have the views of an expert :)

      Delete