Pages

Sunday 4 March 2018

Cabin Fever

My house has been snow-bound for 3 days this week and so with no classes to teach, I have had plenty of time to learn some new skills.  I've been working my way through my latest purchase, Raised Embroidery by RSN tutor, Kelley Aldridge.  It's full of fabulous inspirational contemporary pieces, with clear photos illustrating all the key techniques and three projects with step-by-step instructions.

Interspersed with historical and technical information are top tips and advice but my favourite one is found on page 87 entitled 'More haste, less speed' which cautions against rushing to get going on a project before fully committing to a design.  Her final word is '.. don't be tempted by that awful phrase that will do!'

I am always ambitious and perhaps that last piece of advice should apply to learning the basics before you tackle a project.  This example, designed by Jacqui McDonald, appears in the book as an example, but you have to work out how to do it yourself.  It was a steep learning curve, tackling woven picots, cast-on stitch and covered beads, but I think my favourite element is the little needle lace cauliflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment