Pages

Monday 26 January 2015

January Blues


No chance of the January blues when these little beauties are there to greet me every morning! I love hyacinths but they don't like the heat and quickly bolt when kept indoors. I've discovered that the secret to keeping them strong, healthy and deliciously fragrant is a very cool, North-facing windowsill. 

Their colour is rather illusive; is it blue or purple? It's certainly off-set by the vibrant green leaves. The multiple flower heads on each stem lend themselves to a repeat process so I set about making potato prints. Using fabric paints, I mixed a deep turquoise blue with rich purple and a hint of sparkly pink for warmth.  Once I'd printed the flowers, I added some highlights of green/gold.  I printed onto thick hand-made paper. Now I can keep them all year round. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your hyacinths too - I have two lots inside this year - deep cerise pink and the palest, palest pink - and the perfume is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spend too much time looking at flowers! I'm sure I should try something else but I'm drawn back to them every time! Glad you're enjoying my blog.

    ReplyDelete