Pages

Tuesday 3 February 2015

Coral highlights


This week I have been experimenting with small amounts of colour to accentuate and draw attention to details.

The sampler in the picture was produced on a workshop with Hannah Lamb, working with found objects.   My collection of junk is part of my inheritance, a crazy number of small tins and boxes of sewing paraphernalia handed down to me from my Grandma and Mum.  Most of it has come in useful but one small tin contained many broken or odd items, why they had been kept is anyone's guess.  But in laying them out and anchoring them to the fabric with different stitches they somehow find new meaning.  Encouraged by Hannah's work, I chose a bright coral cotton pearle thread to highlight the curves and shapes of the safety pins, tacks and fixings.  I had some fun with the stitches: a fly stitch to anchor the zipper and herringbone to attach an odd paper-clip.




Hannah's technique provides a great way to display objects that have more sentimental than aesthetic value and the stitches are a fitting tribute to the sewing skills of my Mum and Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment