Pages

Sunday 2 June 2013

Supersize me!



I went out with some creative friends on Saturday, and over lunch we were talking about how difficult it was to loosen up from detailed stitching or drawing.  "Go large" was the advice from my friend Claire!  Now she knows a thing or two about getting out of your comfort zone and trying to do things differently.  She leads classes and workshops for community groups and she likes to set a challenge.

So I set about with an A2 sheet of paper and a very large lump of charcoal and started drawing my gnarly old tree root.  I tried again with a large nib graphic felt tip pen.



I used a continuous line method where I tried not to take the mark-making tool off the paper.  The results have a more fluid feel about them but are best viewed from a distance :)

I think I might isolate some elements of the drawing and use these as the basis for some pattern design.

As for Claire, I'm going to invite her to give a workshop for the Embroiderer's Guild so that she can pass on some more wise words.



No comments:

Post a Comment