Pages

Monday 17 June 2013

Just One Stitch


Just one stitch is a favourite challenge for the Embroiderer's Guild and it's a great way to explore the versatility and experiment with different yarns.  My sewing friends found that we had an unexpected change of plan for our group last Friday and at short notice, this was what we decided to do.

The stitch in question is Sorbello and it can be made to look fantastically different.  In it's tightest form you get a lovely square knot, but extend the stitch and you get large crosses.

I wanted to base mine on my cherry blossom study from last week.  I started by laying down a branch in thick tweedy wool using a very tight stitch.  Then I chose some thick pink knitting yarn that was originally bought to make felted slippers.  I made the legs of the stitch extra long to produce really big stars.  I overlayed these stitches with ones made using pink variegated sari ribbon purchased from a recent trip to Texere Yarns.  Finally I added some much smaller stitches using lime green chenille knitting yarn to accent the flowers.

The most interesting thing about our day was just how varied everyone's work turned out to be when we were all using just one stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment