Pages

Monday 1 April 2013

Goldcrest in my garden


Although there is still a lot of snow on the ground but the birds in the garden know that spring is on its way.  Last week a goldcrest was spotted in amongst the shrubs.  This tiny bird is smaller than a wren and has a distinctive gold flash on the top of its head.

I did a few studies in my sketch book using ink pen and water colours.  Then I started to think about how I might translate the picture into stitch and I remembered that in a workshop taught by Naseem Darbey, we had used wire as a drawing tool.  Its a clever device because it focuses the mind on capturing the essential features and creating a continuous line drawing with a length of wire requires a forethought and ingenuity. I used 0.3mm coloured copper wire in sage green bought as part of a sample pack from The Crazy Wire Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment