Pages

Tuesday 16 July 2019

A little bit of homework




We all need to do it!  A little bit of homework is required before I take the next step with my project for Textilia 3.

I am usually very methodical with my dyeing and printing, making notes of what I have used to produce different colours and the conditions that I have applied them.  My note book is full of splodges of colour and scribbles detailing the quantities of dyes used.  It looks a bit messy because I do it as I'm working.  

For my latest piece of work I am using pieced fabrics constructed from cotton, wool and silk.  I need to make sure that I use the correct pH for each substrate and this will involve soaking the fabric with either soda ash or vinegar before I apply the dyes.  In this way I can use the same dye solution for both cellulosic and protein fibres.  Genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment