Pages

Monday 23 July 2018

All packed and ready to go


As a child, I would practice a new technique by making something for one of my dolls or teddies.  I learned how to piece together a pattern, set sleeves, make buttonholes and worked out why trousers needed to be shaped and cut correctly.  Working on a small scale means that you need less material and it's generally a lot quicker, if a little fiddly.

One of my favourite artists and teachers is Serena Partridge, who also lives a life in miniature.  I've long admired her perfect shoes and gloves but did you know that she also started on her particular artistic path by making a set of miniature luggage?

Well as I was about to go on holiday, it seemed appropriate to make this little suitcase using faux leather but proper saddle-stitching to finish the exterior.  It's my first time using this two-needle, one-thread technique but it was remarkably satisfying.  Next time I think I would pierce the stitch holes before sewing to ensure that the line and stitches were even, but after all, that is the point of a practice piece isn't it?

Thank you to Serena for her inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment