Pages

Friday 21 October 2016

All that glitters


I've ventured into the realms of traditional embroidery over last few weeks and have surprised myself with the results.  Yes, there are elements that are a bit too precise or fiddly for my liking but on the whole I've loved the challenge.

The two brooches shown are adapted from a design by Rachel Reynolds that first appeared in Hoop-La magazine in Spring 2015.  The original design was for 'gold-work' which involves the use of precious metal threads and wires that are couched onto the surface of a fabric.  But I wanted to explore how I might use fancy yarns and general haberdashery items to create a similar effect using the same basic techniques.   The results are rather stunning and certainly got the seal of approval from my friends at Skipton Embroiderers' Guild.



No comments:

Post a Comment