Pages

Wednesday 22 October 2014

How do you like your potatoes?


I'm running from one project to another at the moment with little time to prepare. Luckily I've done this before but not as a taught workshop and I need to make sure that I've got all the right equipment to hand.

It's a simple concept of potato printing but I've been inspired by the work of Julia Burns who creates the most stunning wildlife prints.  Cutting potatoes is no mean feat but once you've got some good knives and a sense of what is achievable you can get some great results.  

I made the echinacea flower in two stages: a cut with two petals that I printed in a rough semi-circle (don't worry about overprints) and then an oval shape for the centre that had been textured by piercing holes with a kitchen skewer.  All very low-tech but the results are great.

Why not take a look at Julia Burns' website Red Hen Originals and see all her lovely work (pheasants are my favourites!)

No comments:

Post a Comment