Pages

Sunday 29 December 2013

Number 50!


This year I set out to do 50 artful new things - roughly one per week. It's not always been easy but it has pushed me out of my comfort zone and given me a huge incentive to be more creative.

Whilst this week's offering is not strictly new, I have tried to be more adventurous.  I've been teaching my friends how to make devore scarves but never found time to make one myself.  In a last minute panic to find a special present (think 21st December) I borrowed a design of chilli peppers from my eldest daughter's A-level art project and got printing.

Working on silk-viscose velvet, I wanted the chilli peppers to appear in relief which meant burning away most of the viscose pile.  It dramatically altered the drape and handle of the fabric, changing it to a light and gauzy cloth.  I used an acid dye to colour the silk background whilst leaving the viscose relatively pale, giving a shimmer to the chilli peppers. 

I finished in the nick of time (final iron on Christmas Eve!) but it was much admired and I know it will be treasured.  I have vowed to me more dramatic  with my use of  devore paste in the future but hopefully not quite as last minute.

50:50 project complete :) 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on a whole year of creativity! That's an amazing accomplishment, given how busy you are. Look forward to whatever's next. :)

    ReplyDelete