Pages

Wednesday 2 May 2012

A Nod to the Past

Roses from the Heart is a project started by artist Christina Henri to celebrate the lives of women transported from the UK to Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania).  When my friend Marjorie persuaded me to take part and make a bonnet, I found myself drawn into the lives of these women who were sentenced for an average of 10 years for insignificant felonies and ripped from all that was familiar.  I imagined them taking small tokens to remind them of their former lives and sewing them inside the lining of their clothes to keep them safe.


I "adopted" my convict who was just 15 when she was transported in 1838.  She shared the same name as my mother.  The bonnet is made from two layers of cotton muslin and trapped inside are fragments of lace from my wedding dress, a button from a favorite cardigan and rose petals to remind me of my garden.


I have used a traditional style of embroidery to embellish my bonnet.  It has not been my usual kind of work it has been very satisfying to dwell in the past for a while.




Photos and text copyright Claire Ketteman 2012

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful, Claire. I love the way you've incorporated tiny treasures that mean so much to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely Claire and links well with your Victorian neckpiece "Opening Doors", I like this exploration of the lives of Nineteenth Century women, through embroidered period clothing and accessories, there is so much more to explore in this.

    ReplyDelete